Complete Travel guide about Thekkady, Thekkady is a tourist destination known for its diverse wildlife, long chains of continuous mountains, and fragrant aromatic spices. Thekkady is located in Kerala’s Idukki District and is home to some of the best wildlife in India. To travel thekkady, Thekkady is India’s only tiger reserve, wrapped in the Western Ghats and retaining the majority of its dense forests.
Travel guide of Thekkady, whether it’s an elephant safari in the deep jungles or a boat ride in the lakes to see herds of elephants and other animals in their natural habitat. Thekkady offers a wide range of activities that you can do on your vacations.
From hiking through the thick forests, which are partially evergreen and partially semi-evergreen, to admiring the wildlife, which includes a diverse range of flora and fauna. Kumily, the closest civilization and travel to Thekkady, is also known for its spice plantations. As soon as one enters the small hill-town, one can smell the fragrant spices. Kumily also hosts the world’s largest cardamom auction.
Climate Situation Of Thekkady
Travel guide of Thekkady, the climate in Thekkady is considered mild. Summers are hot but bearable, with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 36°C. The summers in this area last from March to May. The month of June ushers in monsoon showers that last until September. The monsoon, which brings a lot of rain, keeps the lush forests alive and well. Temperatures range from 15°C to 25°C during the winter months of October to February.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Thekkady?
Travel to Thekkady from September to March is the best option one can opt for. The weather is pleasant, and wildlife can be seen in vibrant contrast to the verdant forests. These months are ideal for going on treks and for going on jungle safaris. Summer months are ideal because temperatures can soar at times, and the scorching sun will exhaust you. The rainy season should be avoided due to the region’s history of landslides.
How To Get There In Thekkady?
Though there is no airport or railway station to travel in Thekkady, getting to this picturesque holiday destination in Kerala is as simple as getting to any other holiday destination. Here’s how to get to travel Thekkady by car, train, or plane:
- By Road: Buses are the most expensive way to get to Thekkady, but they are also the most exciting way to get to this scenic tourist destination. Regular buses to Thekkady depart from major cities such as Kochi, Trivandrum, Kottayam, Bangalore, Chennai, Salem, Tiruchirapalli, Krishnagiri, and others. You have the option of taking regular private buses or government buses.
- By Train: Although Thekkady does not have a railway station, you can take a train to Kottayam Railway Station, which is approximately 114 kilometers from the town. You can either try for a direct train or take a train from Trivandrum to Kottayam. When you arrive at the railway station, you can take private taxis, cabs, or public buses to Thekkady.
- By Air: The nearest airport is Madurai Airport, which is approximately 136 kilometers from Thekkady. Cochin International Airport, located 190 kilometers from Thekkady, is another option. Almost all of the major airlines fly to these two airports from all of the country’s major cities. When you arrive at either airport, you can take private cabs, taxis, or direct buses to Thekkady..
Accommodation And Accessibility
Walking is the best way to explore the overall area and trvael to Thekkady. The mesmerizing beauty of the dense forests will enchant you on the treks and trails. There are plenty of options for lodging in this area. Kumily, the nearest town, has both budget and luxury accommodations. Because it is a popular tourist destination, it is best to book hotels ahead of time.
Things To Do In Thekkady
Discover some of the best things to do in Thekkady with our guide below. Doing these things will give you some unique experiences while also keeping you involved in Thekkady’s overall vibrancy. They are a mix of adventure, sightseeing, and discovering the overall beauty of the location. Do you want to know travel guide about Thekkady and what there is to do in Thekkady? Continue reading: Travel guide about Thekkady
- Visit the Hill Stations: Because of its proximity to the hills, Thekkady is in close proximity to beautiful and quaint valleys that have grown in popularity as top offbeat destinations in Kerala over the years.
- Wildlife Spotting: Wildlife spotting is the most popular activity in Thekkady. Explore these fascinating trails to see Indian tigers, Asian elephants, Nilgiri tahr, sambar, and a variety of other exotic wildlife species.
- Boating: Thekkady’s primary location for all boating activities is Periyar Lake. These cruises take visitors deep into the Periyar Tiger Reserve, which is not accessible by other means.
- Follow the Tiger: The ‘Follow the Tiger’ program is one of the most popular things to do in Thekkady due to its uniqueness. There are guides stationed throughout the National Park who tells you all about tracking elephants, Nilgiri Langurs, and even tigers from their perch.
- Jeep Adventure: It’s possible to rent a jeep and drive around in it above this location on various types of roads, taking in the scenery.
- Tribal Tour: Take this tour to learn more about Kerala’s indigenous tribes. Visit their neighborhood, interact with them, and learn about their native cultures and traditions.
- Night Trekking or Patrolling: Experience the nocturnal beauty of the Periyar National Park while night trekking or jungle patrolling with forest officials; these tours will make your Thekkady tour even more enthralling!
- Bamboo Rafting: A one-of-a-kind and must-do activity, bamboo rafting in Thekkady is full of fun and excitement.
- Elephant Ride: Spend a day with the giant mammoths, learning how to feed them, communicate with them, and even take a shower with them!
- Plantation Tour: While most of Thekkady is densely packed with coffee, tea, and spice plantations, plantation tours in Thekkady should not be overlooked!
- Waterfall Tour: Thekkady is endowed with a plethora of stunning waterfalls, so take a waterfall tour and witness Mother Nature’s miraculous beauty.
- Sightseeing: If you want to explore, witness, and enjoy the pristine beauty of untouched nature in Thekkady then you must try a sightseeing tour in Thekkady.
- Mountain Biking: Mountain biking in Thekkady will add an extra dose of fun and thrill to your trip; pedal through scenic plantations and discover the unadulterated beauty of Thekkady!
- Bullock Cart Rides: Connect with your roots and live like a villager for a day by taking bullock cart rides through the energizing terrains of local villages.
Places To Visit In Thekkady
- Periyar National Park: No doubt that Periyar National Park is the most well-protected and bio-diverse region in the country. This park is on the list of one of the best places to visit in Thekkady. The park is known for its verdant greenery and natural beauty, and it is home to a plethora of significant species, including royal tigers and majestic elephants. The national park, which covers an area of 777 square kilometers, attracts thousands of visitors each year. Enjoy boat cruises, jungle safaris in the form of jeep safaris and elephant safaris, and prominent eco-tourism activities such as Jungle Patrol, Border hiking, Bamboo Rafting, Periyar Tiger Trail, Jungle Inn, and Jungle camp once you arrive. The rivers Pamba and Periyar flow through the dense park, nourishing and thriving the flora and fauna that live there.
- Thekkady Lake: The alluring Thekkady or Periyar Lake, nestled in the heart of the protected jungle area, is famous for its diverse wildlife. Taking a boat ride in the reservoir will provide you excellent opportunities to see rare birds such as the Nilgiri Wood Pigeon and Malabar Grey Hornbill. The artificial lake is one of a kind and continues to be the primary source of water for jungle dwellers. The tranquil and serene lake is located adjacent to the Periyar National Park and is a popular tourist destination. It is calming enough to relax your mind, body, and spirit.
- Murikkady: This ideal picnic spot for families and nature lovers offers some spellbinding views of lush green gardens and the magnificent chain of hills, making it one of the most exuberant places to visit in Thekkady. Spice plantations dot the landscape, and the fine aroma of the coffee, tea, pepper, and cardamom wafts through the air, energizing the senses. Murikkady grows over a dozen indigenous spice varieties, including clove, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and vanilla. A day like this in a healthy environment with fresh air is a cure-all for your body and mind.
- Center Of Kadathanadan Kalari: Kadathanadan Kalari Center, a place renowned for enjoying the traditional form of martial arts, Kalaripayattu, is one of the most interesting tourist attractions in Thekkady. The location exudes a sense of cultural and historical heritage unique to Kerala, and it is intended to showcase the self-defense practices of the Southern state of Kerala with full enjoyment to guests through various martial arts performances. Sage Parshuram created the age-old art form, and if you want to learn it, you can try your hand at it and enroll in the various levels, which include basic, intermediate, and advanced.
- Pandikuzhi: Pandikuzhi, one of the best places to travel in Thekkady, is located between Chellarkovil and the Tamil Nadu border and is only 5 kilometers from Thekkady. The place draws you away from the maddening crowds of the city and bestows an experience you have never had before, surrounded by lush green foliage and extreme tranquillity and serenity. Pandikuzhi is known for its winding streams, pristine waterfalls, captivating landscape, and a variety of flora and fauna housed in virgin surroundings that enlighten and make travelers feel alive.
Final Words:- There is something for everyone in the picture-perfect town to travel Thekkady, whether you’re a nature lover, leisure traveler, couple, or backpacker looking for a relaxing getaway. In Thekkady, there are many places to visit that are ideal for those who are tired of the hustle and bustle of dreary life and want to escape to a place where only nature, wildlife, and serenity are present.
If you want to keep updated about more travel information, Stay tuned with Tripsonwheels.